THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Sunday, October 11, 2009

Alaska – the Second Summer

The adages “If you don’t like the weather today, stick around; it will change.” So goes the weather in Alaska. We had taken out the winter gear, changed the tires on the cars and traded out the lawn mower for the snow blower over the last couple of weeks. Friday and Saturday the winds blew hard……and they were warm. The termination dust has disappeared and the yards are full of blowing leaves. Fairbanks will get warm today with temps of close to 60. Oh well, its great football weather!

How ‘bout them HUSKERS!! The game was televised up here; that’s a rarity. So after work Fred, the dog and I tuned in. The first three quarters we groaned and moaned like all the Big Red fans. There was too much rain; 5 inches during the game the reporter said. Nebraska let letting Missouri get by with little dents in our armor. The dog lay quietly on the floor next to Fred. Then the 4th quarter exploded into the Husker game! Every time we cheered a great play and of course every touchdown, the dog would start jumping and running in circles. Fred and I dissolved in laughter over her antics. Jasmine is learning to be a Husker fan, too! For you Utah and Arkansas fans….Huskers 28 – Missouri 12; and we are moving up in the Polls.

We celebrated the return of 126 soldiers from Iraq last Sunday. Today I am meeting another plane. It’s a smaller group, but just the same, they are coming home and this time with no casualties. I thank you for all the prayers that sent to keep them safe.

Jeremy remains in Afghanistan and we hear from him sporadically. I love his wife, Kassy, and am in continual awe of her abilities as a young wife and mother with a deployed Soldier. We talk about once a week and of course when she hears Jeremy’s voice! It is good to know he is safe. The kids celebrated the Army way….apart….Kassy’s birthday, their anniversary and Jeremy’s birthday were all this past 10 days. Mom and Dad are lame, Jeremy birthday gift will get mailed on Tuesday. It’s hard to imagine that “my baby” turned 25 this year.

The best excitement, next to a Husker football win, was the off Broadway performance of The Lion King. Fred was a sport and agreed to go to a stage play and a musical too; his least favorite activity. It was incredibly awesome. The costumes, the characters, the music and I could go on and on. We went with our close friends and their 6 ½ year old granddaughter. I could just imagine Anya or Houston with us and their comments. The performance lasted just under 3 hours. It took 3 years of negotiations to bring the play up here and 72 semis to haul the props, costumes, etc. The company performed 6 six weeks, and approximately 9 performances a week; all sold out. If you ever get the chance – we highly recommend going. Next show for us, Chicago and then Wizard of Oz.! I think I can talk Fred into those as well. Especially since our friends from Wainwright want to come down for those.

Enough writing for today, I am headed to my sewing machine to attack the pile of mending and then some pants I have cut out for Houston. I need to work today for a few hours when the plane arrives. A holiday tomorrow and more sewing.

1 comments:

princess jen said...

I am SO jealous!! Lion King sounds awesome. I think they might be coming here, but I don't know when and I don't know how much. I loved seeing Wicked in April.